Miller's Variety Store is run by an Amish family in Plevna. They sell bulk dry goods, fresh cheese, homegrown pork, raw milk, and organic cleaning supplies. In addition to the food, Miller's also sells Amish-made goods on consignment (lace, woodworking, handicrafts), home-baked goods (Fri.-Sat.), Amish clothing, and every Melissa and Doug toy you can think of.
When I'm there, I stock up on chicken soup base (no MSG), flours, sugars, natural sweeteners, dry pasta, snack foods, herbs, spices, and CHEESE. I love their cheese! Fresh. Delicious. Only $2.79/lb. Hello?!?! Spices and herbs can be bought at a fraction of the grocery store cost. Plus, they try to sell products that are chemical-free or organic. So in addition to doing something relaxing for myself, I'm buying less expensive products that are better for my family. Win. Win. Win.
Things you should know about Miller's
- This is where the Amish shop. Don't park your minivan in the way of the hitching post.
- There is only one cart in the store, and the aisles are narrow. Plus, there are a lot of breakables. If you can avoid taking small children, you'll enjoy it more. Find a friend and make a day trip. Just call me. I'll go with you.
- There is NO electricity in the store. There are gas lamps in the aisles that they light on very dark days. The dairy products are kept in a cooler case that I assume is probably hooked to a generator somewhere.
- You can use a credit card. Whew. I drove all the way there one day and realized I had no cash. I almost cried. Thank goodness for the Visa sign on their front door.
- Do your homework. If you know what you usually pay per pound for something, you'll know you're getting the best deal. Not everything is inexpensive, but everything is quality.
- If you get their cheese once, it will be hard to return to grocery store cheese. I mean it. Be careful.
- Once there, you can sign up for Miller's newsletter/sale update. You do this by writing your address in a spiral notebook on the counter. That makes me happy. I hope it does the same for you.
- The Amish don't like having their picture taken so please fight the urge to capture the quaint store on your camera phone.
And if you think this sounds like fun, you should talk to me about the Amboy Market (run by a Mennonite family). More on that lovely place another day.
Meanwhile, here is Miller's address: 3718 County Road N 700 East, Plevna, Indiana 46901
The easiest way to get there is to plug this address into Google Maps and get directions. Do yourself a favor and don't go on a snowy day or week. Miller's is off the beaten path, and there could easily by snow blown in the roads you need to take. Helpful that I share this information with you in January, right?
Happy shopping, friends!